I finally had the chance to visit the newly opened Rose & Sage Spa in downtown Oakville and I had the opportunity to try a reiki facial and let me tell you all about my experience.
Being a beauty enthusiast, I love trying new treatments and prior to my visit at Rose & Sage Spa, I didn't even know that reiki facial was a thing so I wasn't sure what to expect.
First, let's talk about what reiki is. Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy.
I have to be honest, I am not really into any spiritual healing stuff and so I was a bit skeptical but as always, I like to keep an open mind.
I asked the owner Nindi Chima what makes Rose & Sage spa unique and special and this is what she had to say, "Being in the spa industry for over 30 years, I created a facial service that combines my love of Reiki to promote the skin’s regenerative self-healing ability and the world’s finest botanicals crafted to gently care for your skin and elevate your mood."
I work on your face and body to increase the flow of energy to clear blockages in your chakras (energy centres). Each treatment is customized to your skin type and current condition,"
I wanted the full experience so I decided to try the 90-Minute Reiki Facial and here's what's included:
1. We started off by Nindi presenting me with 3 different essential oils and making me choose the one that resonated with me. I chose the blend called "Relax" (appropriately named).
2. Then she proceeded with the sage smudging. This is a traditional practice by Native Americans where they burn sage to purify and cleanse people of spiritual impurities a.k.a. driving the bad juju away.
3. She then asked me to take a few deep breaths inhaling the essential oil that I chose.
4. We then move on with the facial part where she started with the double-cleansing, exfoliating and since my skin is all sorts of whack cause it's the time of the month, Nindi went with an anti-acne protocol that is focused on clearing the hormonal acne that was having a party on my face.
4. Then we proceeded with the Reiki part, this is where Nindi was moving her hands over my body, focusing on specific chakras that require clearing. She places her hands on my forehead, cheeks, and throat, and I felt them grow warm as she breathes in and out. (The warm feeling is part of the reiki session. It signifies the flow and release of energy.)
5. While I had a natural mask on, Nindi then proceeded with the arm, leg, and head massage.
6. And as the final step of the facial part, Nindi used a combination of gua sha and jade roller to clear the lymphatic drainage and for the extra plump.
7. She then asked me to take deep breaths of the same essential oil at the beginning of the treatment.
The end of the treatment was marked by the sound of the Buddhist singing bell.
It was definitely a great experience in that the focus is just not only on the face but on your full mind and body. I love the fact that they use natural and organic products and that the treatment was customized to my current skin condition. I left feeling refreshed and my skin rejuvenated. For $150 for 90-minute of pure relaxation, it is definitely worth it as you get a facial, massage, aromatherapy, and meditation all in one.
A few things to know prior to your visit. The spa is located right beside the Randall Residences. It's on the 2nd floor of the Naturopathic Clinic. You can park at the Randall Residences for $1.50 /hour. Due to COVID, you have to call or text upon arrival so they can welcome you by the door to do a temperature check and will ask you to sanitize your hands. Only people who have scheduled appointments are allowed inside so leave the babies at home. You are required to wear a mask when entering that you can take off once you enter the treatment room.
To learn more, visit www.roseandsagespa.com or to book your reiki facial today. Use promo code gabeandangel and receive 10% OFF your treatment.